Protecting your work, company reputation, and user data is an essential part of any web development project. With a Joomla site, it is easy to use security tools and tips to prevent users from being able to hack into your data.
Here are seven ways to secure your site that will work with most versions of Joomla.
1. Provide all administrators with a secure username and password. Make sure passwords are difficult to guess by requiring that they are at least eight characters long and include letters, numbers, and special characters.
2. Use an SEF component that is friendly to search engines without creating Joomla security vulnerabilities. A good SEF component will mask certain information about the components on each page and make it harder for hackers to locate a way in.
3. Use a secure host and server configuration, and make sure safe mode is off. PHP5 is a more secure option than PHP4.
4. Don’t leave leftover files floating around. Extraneous files could compromise your Joomla website security, so remove them if they are no longer needed.
5. Write protect your Joomla configuration file so malicious software and hackers cannot rearrange your code.
6. Remove the version numbers and names of your extensions; otherwise, you are publishing a sort of blueprint for your site, making it easier for hackers to exploit security weaknesses.
7. Take advantage of evolving Joomla extensions security by ensuring that your extensions are up-to-date at all times.
Although Joomla is a development-friendly platform for almost any purpose, there are many details to consider. These seven Joomla security tips certainly provide a starting point for protecting your work and information. If you are dealing with sensitive or essential information and want to move beyond these tips, US Joomla Force can provide development and consulting services to keep your information and website secure.