- Make sure you are ready for a Joomla migration. Check the system requirements for Joomla 2.5 and ensure your servers and browsers are compatible. Otherwise, you could create a mess and have to start all over! Here are some other things you should check:
- Before converting, make sure your Joomla 1.5 is the most current version. This makes an upgrade easier.
- Create a list of your existing Joomla extensions and make sure they have a counterpart in 2.5. If even one extension is not supported, you could have a problem when you upgrade.
- Create a list of modifications you made to core files. An upgrade will overwrite such modifications, and you will need to upload them manually.
- Make sure your language requirements and other personal settings are sustained by 2.5.
- Back up all of your information and settings. If something goes wrong during the Joomla upgrade, you can fall back to what was working before. You could use the backup component ‘Akeeba’ available in the Joomla extensions directory.
- Download the most current version of jUpgrade.
- If possible, set up a testing environment. This allows you to make an upgrade without impacting functional elements on your site. Once things look good in test, you can roll them out to production.
- Log into your Joomla administrator account and install jUpgrade by:
- Selecting Extensions –> Install/Upgrade
- Browse for the jUpgrade file on your computer
- Follow the prompts for installation.
- Selecting Components from the main menu & click on jUpgrade.
- Click on “Start Upgrade”
- You will see the installation bars for various aspects of the upgrade. Allow all bars to fill in and wait for the notification that the upgrade is complete before you exit the screen or turn off your machine.
- Thoroughly check the modules, templates and components to make sure that each one of them has been upgraded properly.
Once the migration is finished, you will be running Joomla 2.5. As previously noted, some of your manual settings may have been overridden. Check all of the functionality of your site and ensure everything is working as expected. You may need to upload some extensions or manual edits. Once you have Joomla 2.5 working as desired, make a backup and launch in your live production environment. For more information or help with your Joomla 2.5 upgrade or migration, contact us today.